Monday 24 October 2011

Pen Voyage Liner Notes - Track 4

Good Monday to you and thanks for those who are still reading my blogs week in week out. THANK YOU.

The fourth song on my record Pen Voyage Chapter 1; Singing for Change is "INSPIRATION" this is one of my favourite song to sing and one of the ones I am proud I wrote. I know it's also a favourite for those who hear it.



A few weeks ago I was asked by a few people what the lyrics are so here is the link to it - http://lanrefajumo.blogspot.com/2011/08/lyrics-inspiration.html

I also wrote about the idea behind the song when I first put out the Radio Edit version in July. here is that blog http://lanrefajumo.blogspot.com/2011/07/new-song-inspiration.html

I looked up the definition of Inspiration in the American Heritage Dictionary of English Language;

- Divine guidance or influence exerted directly on the mind and soul of humankind.
- An agency, such as a person or work of art, that moves the intellect or emotions or prompts action or invention.
- Stimulation of the mind or emotions to a high level of feeling or activity.


I wrote this song about our relationship with that thing called "CREATIVITY" and "INSPIRATION" some times elusive and other times you can't seem to get enough of it. I wonder why that is. I wonder what is responsible for those times when it decides to pay you a visit and why it stays away sometimes. Does it really stay away at those times or is it just hiding from us?

I am not sure I found the answer after writing this song.

Maybe it's one of those things we will never know why.

Jill Dawson in her article in the Guardian "How to write fiction" she urges new writers to dive in as there is never a perfect time to write a novel.

I see myself first as a story teller whether I am trying to write a song or a prose I just want to tell a good and engaging story. I however tend to write only when I am inspired. ie. feel that throb or pull it's the only way I can describe the feeling of being inspired.

In the month of November however I have decided to challenge myself and take part in this year's NaNoWriMo. For those who don't know, November is the National Novel Writing Month.

Thousands of people all around the world will attempt to write a novel of 50,000 words from the 1st of November to the 30th of November. As expected some will be successful and some won't. I plan to succeed

I am so nervous as already dreading what I'll do if the words and ideas aren't forth coming. I am however excited to see what I would have come up with by the end of November (wish me luck)

I think one line from Jill Dawson's article made me decide to challenge myself to write.

Talking about excuses by new writers..

"Not beginning protects you from disappointment; no shame of reading what you have written and finding it rubbish. It also prevents you from an equally disturbing possibility; discovering that you can write.... success and failure can both be avoided."



SO I WILL WRITE.. whether inspiration decides to knock on my front door to pay me a visit or hides in my back garden. hehe

Pen Voyage Chapter 1; Singing for Change is out on iTunes, Amazon and other digital stores
http://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/pen-voyage-chapter-1-singing/id466810768

You can buy the physical CD here




Listen to tracks from the album here
Latest tracks by Lánre

1 comment:

Kade Alli said...

Sometimes I'm tempted to think it's really procrastination that hides the inspiration. Hard to believe inspiration itself really wants to hide herself sometimes. Oh well, "be inspired" it is then as the battle cry!!!

Great post, with lots of hidden cousins in it..hehe